02 03 The Recycle-ista...Adventures in Vintage: Decorate With Vintage ~ A Vintage "State" of Mind ~ Souvenir State Plates 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Decorate With Vintage ~ A Vintage "State" of Mind ~ Souvenir State Plates

34
     If you're a long time thrifter or flea market go-er, I'm sure you've seen them. Great piles of them, most of the time. Kitschy souvenir state plates, popular in the 60s and 70s...maybe even 80s?
I've often just let my glance glide over those piles...they didn't interest me.
     But awhile back...longer probably than I realize...I was helping out a friend. Helping her by selling some of her items on Ebay and Etsy and she gave me a stack of these souvenir plates. I couldn't say no...and really thought I could do something with them. But never did.
I've moved them around with me. Packed them and stacked them away until they were discovered afresh in some closet cleanout. Somehow they always survived the purging.
I even brought them to my booth (when I had one) and maybe sold one or two.

So when Hubby found them recently YET AGAIN, it was time to do something. I have a hard time letting go of things and decided to do some research. And I was pleasantly surprised to see the return to popularity of these types of items.

I turned to Pinterest (where else?) for inspiration.

 Photo cred: Better Homes and Gardens
How awesome is that? You could collect a plate from the states you've lived in or vacationed in.
States where family members live. Or a 'dream wall'. Places you plan on visiting.
I like how the green solid plates are interspersed in there.

Here's another:
 Photo Cred: Art School Dropout
Try catching up to that collection!

I really shouldn't have been surprised. I have purchased a few souvenir state plates for myself over the years. New York (where I'm from), Washington / Seattle (where we are now and where Hubby is from), Montana (where Hubby grew up). Along with vintage postcards from those areas as well...I have a little collection that will someday go on display along with some family photos. IF I ever get my act together. I will be sure to chronicle it for you if I do.

So if I want these mementos, why wouldn't other people?
Then I got thinking, there are probably some serious collectors of these. Or there are versions (older ones and by bigger names) that are worth some money. I think (off the top of my head) I remember Vernon Kilns being a good name. And of course the pink and turquoise designed ones are sure to be a hit. I went to Amazon and sure enough! There are books about collecting souvenir state plates.
Popular Souvenir Plates (Schiffer Book for Collectors)
I think this is worthy of some more in depth research!

Whatever the reason you hunt these down, for yourself or for resale, take a minute to appreciate the charm of these souvenir plates.
And be sure to check out the State Plate listings I've managed to get into the Retro Shop. With more to come!  (shoot! only 4? I'd better get crackin'!!)
What about you? Have you gathered any of these plates in your vintage hunts?

Linking up with Vintage Charm. Check out all of the other vintage goodies when you get a chance!

(Oh and I almost forgot! I read about this on another blog. When I do get around to hanging my plates...I'm going to use these. Genius!!(yuppers, this and any other Amazon link is an affiliate...just a disclaimer))

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38