02 03 The Recycle-ista...Adventures in Vintage: Thank You! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Thank You!

34
Largish Dala horse by Nils Olsson

I do appreciate all the input (and compliments) in the comments of the last post (and some direct emails). I have decided not to give up the blog completely. I will keep going in the direction I have been. I learned too that probably the majority of my regular readers are fellow resellers. So I will keep that in mind. My focus will still be about vintage even though I sell a lot of newer stuff on Ebay. I'll keep sharing my finds and the results of the research I do on them.
Thanks for reading and keep participating! 

 Speaking of finds, the Dala horse up above is one of my recent favorites. I've found and sold a few of these over the years. This one measures about 6.75" tall so is a bit bigger than the other ones I've found. I've heard that there are 10" and bigger ones....that would be cool to find! Checking online..the big ones go for big bucks.
 From Wikipedia:
"A Dalecarlian horse or Dala horse (Swedish: Dalahäst)[p] is a traditional carved, painted wooden horse statuette originating in Swedish province Dalarna. In the old days the Dala horse was mostly used as a toy for children; in modern times it has become a symbol of Dalarna, as well as Sweden in general. Several different types of Dala horses are made, with distinguishing features common to the locality of the site where they are produced."
I think Dala horses are just stinking cute..(i love anything Scandinavian or folk art) but from the reselling perspective..they do sell pretty well too. And related items shouldn't be passed up. Fabric, wall art, napkin holders...are all items I've seen with this motif. One item I regret not getting was a coffee mug with a Dala horse on it. It was one of those days I was not feeling the thrift hardcore...and it was the only thing I was going to buy. The line was crazy long and I just couldn't do it. Oh well. It made some other thrifter happy.
Check this bad boy out:
Largest Dala horse. Made of concrete in Avesta Municipality, Sweden
"Dalahäst i avesta". Licensed under Copyrighted free use via Wikimedia Commons -

There are some similar statues in the Midwest...anyone ever seen them?

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38