02 03 The Recycle-ista...Adventures in Vintage: The Spoils of Thrift ~ Hello March! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Spoils of Thrift ~ Hello March!

34

Well, March started off with some fun finds! I'll probably race through them since my throat is kinda scratchy (has been for a day or 2) and it feels like my lungs are tightening up. If this is a cold or virus thingy, it's a slow moving one. I hate those. Let's just get this over with!! But in any case, I need to get some sleep.

As you can see from the above picture, our thrifting started with a bang on Thursday night with a trip to Goodwill. Hubby and I both ended up in the dishware aisle and were scanning the mugs. Goodwill and their crazy Starbucks mug prices!! Anyway, all of a sudden I hissed "Heath! Heath! Heath! Heath!"
Hubby said, "What?? You sound like you're doing Lamaze!!".

Out of all the pieces, these were the best. And unfortunately, one of the salad plates had a chip that we missed. They are already listed here and here. Better than Starbucks!!

That night at Goodwill we also found a Black Butterprint Pyrex bowl. I swore off picking up Pyrex. The return just isn't good enough, Hubby hates shipping it and it takes up a lot of room to store. But I still can't resist the cool colors!

Pyrex Black Gooseberry 443 Cinderella Mixing Bowl 2.5 Quart 



Here are a few other items from that night:

Apple mugs by Lauffer.


Rosti of Denmark red Melamine mixing bowl


And a Russel Wright by Oneida bowl.

So then on Friday, I was with the MIL and all of a sudden she was taking a turn and telling me to get ready to hop out. I was chatting with someone else in the back seat and didn't realize she had seen a moving sale sign. I didn't have any money but we decided to scan and either return with cash or scrounge up some pennies.
Fortunately, this was my kind of sale...tons of old stuff and it was priced at 25 cents, 50 cents. Fun!!
First of all, I hit the Free box on my way in.
Found these 4 magazines from the 70s.


I recognized the author as a popular one for Tole Painting. And you can't beat free!
Then it got really fun.
I went inside and the elderly owner had a box of vintage costume jewelry on her card table where she was taking money. I started scanning (mostly for my MIL who makes purses with vintage, recycled materials) and right away saw some blingy old rhinestone brooches and a black cameo. Sorry no picture, MIL took it for a purse creation. But I asked how much and it was extremely reasonable! So I had to do it.
I asked if she'd consider selling the whole lot.
She said...'sure, I guess'.
I asked 'How much?'
She thought and thought and finally said 'Make me an offer'
Darn it!
I hate that. So I thought and thought and delayed. I had seen some good pieces but I didn't want to insult the lady.
Finally she blurted out a price which was $15 less than the number in my head!
So glad I waited!
We scrounged up the cash and went on our merry way. But I knew I had to come back since I didn't have time or money. Plus I heard her on the phone telling Hubs to bring her other 2 boxes of costume jewelry! What I discovered was that the jewelry belonged to Hubby Dear's aunt. Perfect!
It's always nice to deal with someone who has no emotional attachment.
So here's the first lot:

Here are a few of the better pieces:


MIL took a lot of the blingy stuff...but I found that many were missing stones, so she'll repurpose them.
Just a lot of fun.
When I went back I was more selective in the jewelry and ended up with mostly owl jewelry. Auntie Poo loved owls so here's the collection I ended up with.


Now if you are an OWL fan...you need to stay tuned to the Recycleista's Retro shop and Facebook page in the next week or so. Got some exciting OWL plans coming up!!

Okay. So much for brevity. It's highly overrated.
A few more little things from that sale.
All of these items were in one box for one price.

Okay, you need a closeup of one mug.

And I love the pattern on this dishware.


It's called Devon Peach and it's by TG Green.
I really like these wine glasses. I can't believe I didn't recognize them as being Pfalztgraff in the Village pattern.

And these mid century Libbey glasses balance out the cutesy country-ness of the box.


Are you still with me?
One last item. Vintage linens. I don't know why. I'm terrible at listing and selling them. But they were cheap. And cute. :)

Okay, I lied. There were a couple more items. But I'll share one more with you. That's it. I promise.


California Pottery jug by Hedi Schoop of Hollywood, CA. She usually does figurals, so this is kind of unusual. It's almost so ugly...I like it!

Okay. I'll stop. Swing on by A Living Space's Nifty Thrifty for some more great finds! And Thrift Share Monday with Apron Thrift Girl..and Thriftasaurus with Sir Thrift a Lot. I'll be linking up!



Labels:

35 36 37 38